A Handful of Good Topics for an Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essays are the easiest essays to write because they follow such a specific structure and because argumentative topics are easy to think of and write about.
Your Goal for An Argumentative Essay
The goal of an argumentative essay is for you to construct a good position (and I say "construct a good position" for a reason - I'll get to that in a minute. The goal is to construct a thesis/position on an argumentative topic - for example, "we must do more to fight global warming now."
Evidence Paragraphs Come Next
Then, you need solid evidence of this argument, that we really do need to take action because our environment is in serious danger if we do not take action, and to prove this with solid evidence.
Acknowledge the Opposition
The next step is to step back and acknowledge the most obvious objections to your argument - then overcome them with a reassertion of your own. To determine the objection, think of what a debate rival might think of to oppose you.
Closing Paragraph: Refute the Opposition and Reassert Your Thesis
Then you move to your closing where you reassert your thesis in the light of current events, consequences you haven't mentioned yet, or to bring the issue somehow into the very current, pressing issues regarding your topic.
For example, with global warming you could say something like
"Yesterday on the news, researchers told us that polar bears are now endangered and may become extinct in the next 10 - 20 years because of the melting polar icecaps. We must take action now."
Make it Fun and Interesting
See how easy that was? These can be fun essays because you get to take a stand on something you really care about.
Great Topics for Argumentative Essays
- Global warming
- Online Education in the Medical Field Should Not Be Allowed
- Gay Marriage Should Be Legalized Everywhere
- All States Should Allow Medical Marijuana to Be Prescribed
- All Gay Parents Should Be Able to Freely Adopt Children
- Should Gym Class Be Mandatory for All Grades (Even High School)
- We Need to Do More to Fight Childhood Obesity
- Should Violent Video Games be Banned
- Violent Video Games Do/Do Not Affect Children or Endanger them To Become Violent People
- School Shootings and What to Do
- Why We Should Relax the Laws on Pain Medications Because of the New Heroin Epidemic and Threats of Spread of HIV and Hepatitis C
- More History Should Be Taught in Universities
- Technology Enhance/Does Not Enhance Learning